Star Wars Rebels: Season 1 – Episode 1 “Spark Of Rebellion” (2014) – TV Episode Review
Ok, so I am so glad that it is finally time that I do this… I have been a fan of not just this series, but of the universe that this series comes from for a long time… That Universe of course being the universe of, ‘Star Wars’ and the series of course being, ‘Star Wars Rebels’!
Now of course for you modern fans out there, I suspect that you most likely recognize the Star Wars universe for the recent Disney released films, Star Wars Episode VII – The Force Awakens (2015) and, Rogue One: A Star Wars Tale (2016)… But for me this series goes back to when the only thing out there was the original series of 3 movies that were made by George Lucas between the mid 1970s – early 1980s, with Luke (played by: Mark Hamil) Leia, (played by: Carrie Fisher) and Han Solo (played by: Harrison Ford) were the heroes fighting the good fight against an evil Empire!
Well since then, and since Disney took over Lucas Films and began to create a seriously expanded universe, I have to say that I have been really impressed! I mean the work that George Lucas did with the prequel series, I have to say that I thought he did a good job with, (despite Jar Jar Binks)…
But Disney really worked on it and has since expanded the series in to something that has not only dwarfed what it was originally supposed to be, but has become something so much more! I mean I haven’t seen, ‘Rogue One’ yet, but I have heard mostly good stuff about it… But I did see The Force Awakens… I followed the Clone War series (a cartoon series that followed the adventures of Anakin Skywalker and Obi Wan Kenobi during the clone wars), and I have even checked out some of the lego animated series, and they are pretty amazing, but the one that I have been following since the beginning that I have found to be completely amazing and wonderful is, ‘Rebels’
Now I have been following Rebels since the beginning of the series, and over all what I have to say is my favorite things about the series is this…
1. The casting for this series is pretty amazing, I mean the voice over talent for this series is just as amazing as they are for all of the voice over work that Disney contracts out for (And considering the fact that they also have all of the animated Marvel stuff, and their own independent work, Star Wars Rebels is in great company!)
2. I feel like the technology that was used to animate this series is the final work that was started on the Clone Wars series… What I mean by that is that Clone Wars to me… Their animation felt like the same type of computer generated animation that you might have seen in the 1990s that did not work quite right… But still was cool for the time… But in Rebels the voices are sinked up exactly with the movements of the characters, and the facial experessions aren’t so cold and life less.
3. The next thing that I wanted to say that I like about this series is the connection between Rebels and Clone Wars… I mean I won’t give up to much right now… But there are some cross over episodes that are pretty spectacular!
4. The next thing that I wanted to say that I really like about this series is the stories… Sometimes studios when creating these independent animated spin-off series… Sometimes Studios have been known to skip out on some pretty awesome story lines… But Rebels story lines generally have some very fun and edge of your seat story lines!
5. Finally, and this is something of a personal preference of mine, but the fact is, is that I do like getting to see Freddie Prinze Jr. (I Know What You Did Last Summer) back in something! I mean back in the 1990s, he was one of my favorite actors, and still does an amazing job in his work on this show!
And it all starts with, episode 1, season 1: ‘Spark Of The Empire’ (2014)!
Written by: Simon Kinberg (X-Men: The Last Stand) & Directed by: Steven G. Lee (Minority Report) + Steward Ward (Batman: The Killing Joke). Starring: Taylor Gray (Thunderstruck), Vanessa Marshall (Justice League: The Crisis On Two Earths), Freddie Prinze Jr., Tiya Sircar (17 Again), Steve Blum (Transformers: Rescue Bots) & David Oyelowo (Jack Reacher).
“The Jedi Knights are all but destroyed. Yet your task is not complete, Inquisitor. The Emperor has foreseen a new threat rising against him: the children of the Force. They must not become Jedi.” – A quote from Darth Vader in Star Wars Rebels Season 1 Episode 1: Spark Of Rebellion!
Now I do think this story is pretty good… But what makes it great is that it sets up the show a lot better then most pilot epsidoes seem to… What I mean by that is that in this episode, A small band of rebels are going around causing chaos for an Empire that had not been in power for more then about a decade or two… During this time, Anakin Skywalker has become Darth Vader, the only Jedi left, ‘Obi Wan Kenobi & Yoda’ are in hiding and especially with these two are hiding Vader’s kids.
And during this time this small rebel faction has been causing problems for the Imperial contingent on the small backwater planet of, ‘Lothal’… Anyway, when their mission is to steal some cargo from the Imperials on Lothal, a young thief/orphan by the name of, ‘Ezra Bridger’ (Taylor Gray) steals some of this stuff before the rebels can get their hands on it!
Well after the Rebels find young Ezra, they find that his handy nature, and almost supernatural ability to get almost anywhere and do anything, the crew (who has a former Jedi on board) decide to take him on as a crew member, when they discover the potential for young Ezra for the crew, and for the Jedi to start training!
Ultimately the best thing about this episode, is besides what I mentioned above, is that this episode sets up a series that has been going so well, that if you decide to check out this series, you almost certainly will become addicted!
Anyway, if you haven’t check this out yet, then I highly recommend doing so… It is amazing!